Seeking Truth, Finding Love

This blog will be a place where I explore various issues of importance to me, most notably religious and spiritual ones. Even though I've ceased to claim the label of "Muslim," I see no reason not to hang on to the moniker "bashirkareem" because it's actual meaning still has relevance for me and my life. Thus, you will hear more as time passes. God bless!

"Bashir" means "bringer of glad tidings" while "Kareem" indicates ideas such as generosity and friendliness. Thus, my online moniker, Bashir Kareem, indicates my desire to bring gladness and kindness whereever I may, in accordance with the will of God.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

In search of simplicity...

Originally posted 2/6/2009, transferred from other blog

One resolution I have made recently is to strive for more simplicity in my life. At present, I have a number of habits that counteract that goal:

  • I am a packrat of the worst variety. I hoard every paper, e-mail, or object for fear that I might need it later. This means an ever-growing pile of things that I don't need and that take up room.
  • I am also a procrastinator. Why do the tasks that I actually need to do when I could surf the net or play Flash games online, right? This tendency, combined with the one above, adds to the clutter in my life. For example, when I get mail (bank statements, credit card bills, junk mail, etc.), I tend to just throw it into a pile and forget about it. This means that, several months later, I have to go on a mass purging that I never want to do because it's so unpleasant. And the pile grows and grows.
  • I tend to hold onto the past. I find myself continuing to be mad at guys who jilted me several months ago, college and high school acquaintances who were asses to me, and even family members whose decisions I feel were not in my best interests.
  • If a new activity or opportunity arises, then I feel like I simply must do it...unless, of course, it's something that'd actually benefit me career-wise or life-wise. Haha!

In short, I have a tendency to welcome various forms of clutter and complication into my life which accumulates and causes me annoyance and stress later on. Plus, all that clutter tends to have a rather demoralizing effect on my mood. (NOTE: When I say "clutter," I mean not only physical objects but also issues and drama, as well.) I always want to be free of that, and I sometimes make inroads but never permanent ones.

I recently started reading this blog called Zen Habits, and I have found lots of its advice very helpful. Even if I don't follow the specific tips, the inspiration factor is itself amazing. I have been inspired to do a number of things:

  • Go through that pile of mail and, this time, keep it from ever growing again.
  • Get rid of all but two credit cards.
  • Switch to paperless bills and bank statements. (I.e., through e-mail)
  • Mass purge of my e-mail inbox--also stop being an e-mail packrat
  • Organize, well, everything. Reduce clutter. Increase the amount of floor space in my room.
  • Let go of past hurts and resentment; avoid toxic people, and others who might bring me down. (That is, reducing mental clutter and human clutter.)
  • Simpler ideas for meals and snacks. Including making more food in bulk in advance--perhaps taking advantage of my freezer space.

These are just a few of the things I have started doing and want to do in my life to de-clutter it. There are other things I'd like to do in the long term, such as embracing some degree of minimalism in terms of the actual amount of stuff I have. I think that'd make my life even better. As scatter-brained as I am, I think minimalism of some sort would be very beneficial to me, indeed! We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home